Rent a House during an IVA

Rent a House during an IVA

If you rent a house or flat it should not be affected if you start an IVA. However there may be implications if you decide to move to a new property.

Jump to article contents:

Want help to start an IVA?

Give us a call: 0800 011 4712 or complete the form below to speak to one of our experts

Can you continue to Rent a House if you start an IVA?

Starting an IVA will not affect your ability to continue to live in a property you are currently renting. Your landlord will not be told. As such as long as you continue to pay the rent on time you should have nothing to worry about.

Your negative credit rating will not affect your landlord’s property. A property cannot be blacklisted. It is the individuals who live in the property who can have a poor credit rating but not the property itself.

The Arrangement might actually improve your relationship with your landlord. Once the Arrangement is in place you should always be able to pay your rent on time because the required cash is budgeted in your living expenses.

It is unlikely that your landlord will ever discover you are in an IVA unless you tell them.

The Implications of moving to a New Rented Property during an IVA

A monthly payment IVA will normally last 5-6 years. During this time there could be many reasons why you might need to move to a new rented property.

In theory there is nothing to prevent you from doing this. However if your new rental payment is either higher or lower than the amount you previously paid it will affect the Arrangement.

If the rent is higher your living expenses budget will increase. You may not be able to afford this without reducing your IVA payments. It might be possible to do so but the agreement may have to be extended as a result.

If your rent falls after moving to a new property and your disposable income goes up as a result you may have to increase your IVA payments .

Will your Credit Rating prevent you from Renting a new House during an IVA?

Once you start an IVA your credit rating will become poor. This will cause problems if you want to move and rent a house or other property using a letting agent during the Arrangement.

The issue is most letting agents will credit check you. You will fail this because of your IVA. As such it is usually best to be upfront with the agent about your situation. If it is going to be a problem there are some things you can offer to overcome this.

You could suggest paying rent 6 months in advance. However given your financial situation this is likely to be difficult. Alternatively you could offer a Guarantor. This could be a family member or friend who confirms they will pay your rent if you are unable to do so.

Your poor credit rating will not normally be taken into account if you are planning to move into a rented property owned by the Council or local Housing Association.

Related Articles

12 thoughts on “Rent a House during an IVA

    Jan says:

    Hi there. I am in year two of IVA and living in rented accommodation. My landlord has indicated that I may have to give up the apartment because he wants to have it over to his daughter. I’m in a pretty desperate situation because of the IVA it will be difficult to get through credit check for another home. I don’t have anywhere else to live as my children live abroad or in Scotland. I’m thinking of cancelling the IVA or dropping out. It’s making my life even worse than the debt

      Hi Jan

      Renting a new property during an IVA can be tricky because of your poor credit rating. If you use a letting agent they are likely to carry out a credit check against you which you will fail. As discussed in the article above the only way around this is normally either to pay rent in advance (which you are unlikely to be able to afford) or get someone with a good credit rating to act as a guarantor for you.

      When you speak to letting agents be honest. Tell them you have a poor credit rating so are likely to fail a credit check but it is under control and you can provide a guarantor. Many will then help.

      This is important: Cancelling your IVA will not help your credit rating. The record of the Arrangement will stay on your file for 6 years from the start date whether you cancel or not. As such if you can afford to it will be best to keep up with it so your debts are paid off.

      Alternatively if you really cant afford the payments you could consider failing it and then going bankrupt. The advantage with bankruptcy is you do not have to make ongoing payments unless you can afford to…..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *